Join us as a member of The Woman’s Club of Lake City!

About Us

Through its 117 year history, The Woman’s Club of Lake City has remained an active organization in Lake City, dedicated to improving the community and supporting other dedicated organizations who work to enhance the lives of citizens locally, statewide, nationally, and worldwide.

GFWC (General Federation of Women’s Clubs) launched its five new Community Service Programs (CSPs) to build upon the difference that the Federation has collectively made throughout the United States—and around the globe. The Community Service Programs are structured to help clubs better serve their communities by addressing the current and upcoming needs of its communities.

As a GFWC member, The Woman’s Club of Lake City is proud to work side-by-side with a number of dynamic and impactful Affiliate Organizations. Together, we work to improve our communities and better our world.

1905 (September)

A local sewing club provided the inspiration to create a literacy club, which subsequently became the Lake City Woman’s Club (known at the time as the Current Topic Club).

1906 (February)

The Club was officially federated with the State Woman’s Clubs.

1912

The City of Lake City deeded land to The Club, where they built The Club House.

1915-16

The Club’s name was changed to The Woman’s Club of Lake City and a charter was granted to The Club to build the Club House, and was given a 99-year lease with The City. In the same year, The Club sponsored The City’s first Christmas tree.

1917

The Club played a vital role in getting the first Boy Scout Troop organized.

1928

The St. Cecelia Music Club and the Lake City Garden Club were both organized as The Woman’s Club projects.

1934

The Junior Woman’s Club was organized.

1943

During the war, The Club’s building was given to The City for the USO Government and funds were used to set up and organize programs for the service men with a paid hostess. The Club also helped organize Grey Ladies and served as needed in the hospital.

1947

A major flood from Lake Isabella overflowed into the basement where the library was located. The WPA came to the rescue and the books were repaired and the library was moved upstairs.

Present

Over the years, The Woman’s Club of Lake City has been a Social and Civic Center for The City and County. Schools, Girl Scouts, 4-H Clubs and visiting dignitaries have all been entertained at The Club House.

Elected Officers

^

President: Carol Feagle

^

Vice President: Stephanie Bennett

^

Secretary: Currently Open

^

Treasurer: Jan Smithey

Appointed

^

Rental Chairman: Marilyn Hamm

^

Chaplain: Pat Roberts

^

Treasurer Advisor: Jill Hunter